Wednesday, January 18, 2012

It’s My "1" Year Anniversary Of My Blog, Let’s Celebrate!


It is official, today January 18th, “Family Plus Food Equals Love”, has been online for “1” whole year! 365 days ago today, I wrote my first blog post. I had no idea how this blog would impact so many people, including myself. Since I have started this blog, I have learned an awesome amount from my research, other bloggers, friends, and family. Thank you to my readers and all who have stopped by to read my blog. Every one of you have made me feel that I have something important to say and share. I am not sure where year "2" will take me, but I do know that I will continue to write stories of my family. I am looking forward to new experiences and new recipes to share. I hope that you will continue to comeback for year two! So let’s celebrate! What better way to celebrate my blog’s anniversary is with some tea and some sweets. January just happens to be, “National Hot Tea Month”. A cup of tea is my very favorite beverage to drink. It is like a warm blanket comforting me and a drink that I can indulge in without feeling guilty.

Tea is packed with antioxidants, flavonoids, and has even been proven to improve the body’s natural defenses against bacteria or viruses. Many tea drinkers find the beverage soothing, a remedy for sore throats, and upset stomachs. Tea is the world’s second most popular beverage consumed, second only to water. It is easy to make, affordable, and offers a variety of flavors. In Italy, coffee or espresso is the drink of choice after a meal. Tea is rarely consumed. 

The traditional method of making a cup of tea is to place “loose tea leaves” in a tea infuser or a teacup and pour hot water over the leaves. After a couple of minutes of steeping time, remove the leaves and strain while serving a perfect cup of tea. The “tea bag” was invented by an American tea merchant Thomas Sullivan in 1907. He began distributing samples if his tea in small bags of Chinese silk with a drawstring. Many people noticed that they could simply leave the tea in the bag and reuse it with fresh tea leaves. Another form of a tea bag was introduced by Lipton in 1996, which has a unique design. It is called the “pyramid tea bag,” or “sachet bag,” because of its three-dimensional shape which allows more room for tea leaves to expand while steeping.

“Afternoon Tea” or “High Tea” is still practiced all over the world. Afternoon Tea involves manners, lace, and finger foods that include, crust less cucumber sandwiches, baked scones served with jam, biscuits, and an assortment of loose teas. Afternoon Tea was considered to be a ladies’ social event. High Tea on the other hand was a working class meal served shortly after five P.M. It was a heavy meal of meat, fish, vegetables, baked goods, and other foods. Today, the tradition of the “afternoon tea” continues as many people love to celebrate a birthday, holiday time, or other special events with a “tea party”.
 
When I turned “50,”my best friend, Mary Ann, gave me an afternoon tea party to celebrate my birthday. She prepared crustless tea sandwiches, scones with jam, and an array of flavored teas. She made me a beautiful hat cake, surrounded by petals of roses and a silk ribbon around the brim of the cake, just like a Victorian hat. Thanks to Mary Ann, it will be a birthday that I will never forget.

So, as we celebrate my “1” year anniversary of my blog, my recipe this week is called “Favorite Scones”, Courtesy of Cook.com- And don’t forget to enjoy a cup of hot tea with these delicious baked goodies. 

Favorite Scones
Ingredients:
1/3 cup of unsalted butter

1 3/4 cusps of unbleached all purpose flour
3 tablespoons of granulated sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup of raisins or currants, optional
4 to 6 tablespoons half & half or milk
1 egg, beaten for brushing on scones

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut butter into flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in 1 egg, raisins and enough half & half so dough leaves the sides of the bowl. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead 10 times. Roll 1/2 inch thick; cut with round or heart shaped cutters. Place on un-greased cookie sheet; brush with beaten egg. Bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove immediately. Split scones and serve with butter, jams, and jellies. Serves: 15 Enjoy!

Till Next Time……… 

Copyright © 2012 “Family Plus Food Equals Love” All Rights Reserved.
  
  

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Dottie . I have enjoyed reading your blog every week . Thank you for sharing your family with us all . Your friend Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mary Ann. I appreciate you reading and suppporting my blog. I hope that you continue to enjoy my blog in year "2". Thanks again friend. Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete