Monday, November 5, 2012

Hurricane "Sandy" and "Pasta Spirals With Bacon & Spinach"

It was a tough week for the entire East Coast especially New Jersey, Connecticut, and New York/Long Island where I live, as “Hurricane Sandy's” destruction left an unforgettable imprint on the lives of millions. I did not post last week due to the fact that I did not have electric and was staying with family. I finally was able to get my power back but my parents, brother, and my sister-in-law did not. As last week progressed my parents did get their electric back but the rest of my family has not. I apologize to my readers, but Mother Nature seems to be in charge lately and it can not be helped. I am very grateful to the powers that be, that my family and I have been OK and we did not have floods, lose our homes, or lose lives. So we just have to be so thankful for “Sandy” sparing us from total devastation. I look at photos from this major super storm; I can’t believe that this is New York, Long Island. As I watch the news and I see the damage across the East Coast, it reminds me of another world, or another country. I have never seen anything like this in my lifetime and pray that I never will again. Now as if what has happened was not enough, I have heard that another nor’easter is on the way towards the New York, New Jersey area on Wednesday and Thursday of this week. Pray that those of us that have our power back stays on and we don’t go backwards instead of forwards due to this storm. My prayers and thoughts go out to all of those people who have lost family members, lost their homes due to floods and fire, and to everyone that has been affected from this horrible nightmare called “Sandy”. My heart goes out to the young, the elderly, the sick, and many pets that have been misplaced. This tragedy will have touched our lives for many years to come. We are a strong nation these “United States of America” and it just seems to me that everyone comes together when there is a catastrophe from one coast to the other. People from all over the USA and the world have been helping in one way or another to ease the pain and upheaval of the East Coast. Thank you everyone!

With that being said, it is important that the victims of Hurricane Sandy get the help they need now. The Disney/ABC Television Group will donate $2 million to those severely impacted by “Sandy”. They call it a “Day of Giving”. During the network programming of daytime, news, primetime, and late night the message of giving and hope will be flashed on the TV screen. Please help out the victims of Hurricane Sandy by donating to the American Red Cross not only today but any day. Here’s how you can help:

Text to Give: Text ABC to 90999 to give $10.00 to the American Red Cross
Phone: 1-800-HELP-NOW (1-800-435-7669)
Online: Go directly to the Red Cross Donation page.

Our prayers and the little things that we can do for our family, friends, and neighbors will I’m sure be a blessing to all whom have been effected.


PS: Please don’t forget to VOTE, it is your right as an American!

My recipe this week puts a twist on an Italian favorite with this classic spiral pasta (fusilli) dish. The spiral shape provides lots of nooks and crannies to hide all of your delicious ingredients. This dish can be doubled and tripled to feed many people. So let’s make a big batch to be shared with others that need the food, warmth and company.

  
Pasta Spirals With Spinach and Bacon

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 4 people

Ingredients:
1 red pepper
6 oz of sliced mushrooms
1 onion
6 pieces of uncooked bacon
1 red chili
1 lb of pasta spirals (fusilli pasta)
1/4 cup of olive oil
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 (9 oz) bag of fresh spinach, roughly chopped
1/2 cup of Pecorino Romano grated cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Wash the spinach, remove the stalks and roughly chop. Core and seed the pepper and slice finely. Peel the onion and chop finely. Chop the bacon into small pieces. Now remove the seeds from the chili and slice finely. Cook the spirals (fusilli) about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Now drain when the pasta is al dente. Meanwhile, warm the olive oil in a large heavy pan over medium heat. Add the garlic till fragrant about 2-3 minutes, do not burn. Now add the onion, bacon, chili, mushrooms, and red pepper. Sauté for 3-4 minutes. Then add the spinach and sauté for 3-4 minutes until it wilts, while stirring. Season with salt and pepper to taste. When all is cooked together toss with the pasta spirals. Top with Pecorino Romano cheese and serve immediately.
 
 
 
Till Next Time…………………………

Copyright © 2012 “Family Plus Food Equals Love” All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment