How will you celebrate the summer season this year? Let’s see, I have some ideas…
- The first thing that comes to mind is the beach. Everyone loves the water and especially in the summer heat. A nice cool swim and relaxing on the sand is a fun way to spend a summer day. Oh, and I forgot to tell you, bring plenty of sunscreen.
- Planting and gardening are also a great way to spend a day in the summer. But remember to use gardening gloves and a big wide brimmed hat.
- Another idea maybe a camping trip. Plan a camp-out and enjoy the great outdoors whether in a tent or in a cabin in the woods. But don’t forget the natural insect repellent that may come in handy.
- One of my favorite ideas is to plan a family cook-out. There is nothing as tasty as grilled food with family and friends on a summer evening. I always use Citronella candles to ward off the bugs, plus it adds to the ambiance of the night.
- As the temperatures rise and lazy days develop. A great way to relax is with a good book to read. Whether you are at the beach, on your porch, or inside if it is raining, one of the best ways to enjoy a summer day is to read up on some gardening tips, natural health, a romance, or that mystery you wanted to see if you can figure out.
- Lastly watch the night sky! Go outside after dark and explore the night’s sky from your own backyard. See if you can spot the Big /Little Dipper, the North Star, or maybe a comet. A good pair of binoculars would help you count the stars.
Now would love to hear from you about how you plan to celebrate the summer season? What are your ideas? Going on a trip, a cruise, or just staying at home. Email me or comment below and I will post them all on next week’s blog.
This recipe that I have for you this week is one of my all time favorites. My Mom taught me how to make this recipe. “Ice Box Pudding Cake“, is so simple and easy but it is the best on a hot summers night, just enough to cool you off. This recipe is made using Chocolate and Vanilla pudding (cook and serve). You make this with graham cracker layers and whipped cream to top it with. You can also make this in a larger dish and it can be served as a dessert for BBQ’s and for picnics. It truly is a great comfort food that people of all ages love.
Ice Box Pudding Cake
2 boxes (5.9 oz size) Cook & Serve Chocolate Pudding (NOT INSTANT)
2 boxes (5.9 oz size) Cook & Serve Vanilla Pudding (NOT INSTANT)
8 cups of whole milk
1 box (15 oz size) plain graham crackers
1 16 oz Cool Whip or whipped cream of your choice
1-11 x 7 inch glass baking dish
Prepare the pudding according to the directions on the box for each flavor. Layer the glass-baking dish with graham crackers. (break the crackers, if necessary to fit the pan) Spread a layer of warm pudding on the top of graham crackers (use the chocolate for the first layer) Put another layer of graham crackers on top of chocolate. Then spread a layer of warm vanilla pudding on the top of graham crackers. Now cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours. The last thing to do is crush some graham crackers and sprinkle over the top of last layer (vanilla) after the pudding is set. When you are ready to serve it, cut the icebox cake into small squares. Then scoop the sections into individual serving bowls or plates and top generously with whipped cream.
***Sugar free pudding or 1% milk would be fine to substitute for either of these ingredients. Just be sure to use the cooked sugar free pudding mix.
Till Next Time………………………………..
Copyright © 2013 “Family Plus Food Equals Love” All Rights Reserved