Tuesday, September 30, 2014

“Roasted Broccoli & Olives” Plus “Fillet of Sole Piccata”

Welcome to “Wordless Tuesday!” Today I have two mouthwatering recipes which I know you will love…….. Enjoy!  


This recipe is both tender and crunchy. The Broccoli comes alive with the sharpness of the olives and garlic, plus the freshness of the lemon. This “Roasted Broccoli and Olive” dish goes deliciously well with the “Fillet of Sole Piccata” (recipe follows)


“Roasted Broccoli and Olives”


Prep: 15 minutes
Roast: 20-25 minutes
Makes: 8 servings


Ingredients:
6 cloves garlic, peeled and gently crushed
1 tsp kosher salt, divided
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
2 1/4 pounds broccoli, washed, drained and patted dry
1/2 cup mixed unpitted olives
1/2 fresh lemon or more

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425° F. Line a 15x10x1 baking pan with parchment paper; set aside. In a small bowl combine garlic and 1/2 tsp. of the kosher salt. Using the back of a spoon, muddle garlic and salt until garlic begins to release its oil; set aside. Trim broccoli stems; cut stalks lengthwise into halves and/or quarters. Place in prepared baking pan. Pour garlic oil and olives over; toss well. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tsp. kosher salt. Roast 20 to 25 minutes, tossing occasionally, until tender but al dente. Transfer to a serving dish. To serve, drizzle with additional olive oil. Squeeze lemon juice over.

Recipe adapted from “Better Homes and Gardens”



                             ************************************************************

“Fillet of Sole Piccata”

This recipe will work with any small flat fish fillet, example flounder, fluke or sole.


Ingredients:
1 pound skinless fillets
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
1/3 cup all purpose flour for dredging
4 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup dry white wine

(ex: Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio)
2 Tbsp real lemon juice
1/4 cup small capers
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp unsalted butter

 
Directions:
Rinse the fish in cold water and pat them dry. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and pepper. Then place the flour mixture in a long shallow bowl or dish. Dredge the fillets in the flour so that both sides are lightly coated. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large stick-free sauté pan. When the oil is hot (add a little pinch of flour to the oil, and if it sizzle immediately, you're ready), work in batches and place the fish fillets in the pan in one layer and fry until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Add more oil to the pan if needed. Once browned on both sides, remove the fish fillets from the pan, set them on a paper towel-lined plate (or keep them warm in a 200°F oven) Add the white wine to the pan and use a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Let the wine boil furiously for a minute or two, until greatly reduced, and then add the lemon juice and capers. Boil another minute. Turn off the heat. Add 1 Tbsp of butter to the pan, swirling it constantly. When it melts, repeat the process with the other tablespoon of butter. Stir in half of the parsley and pour it over the fish. Sprinkle the fish with the remaining parsley. Serve at once with the roasted broccoli and a baked potato would be nice! Enjoy! 

Recipe adapted from “Simply Recipes”


Till Next Time………………………………...................

Copyright © 2014 “Family Plus Food Equals Love” All Rights Reserved

12 comments:

  1. Good morning Dottie ,
    Love roasted broccoli , also love olives ,, never put them together , yummy good . So fast and easy and yet delicious .
    Fish is a stable on the dinner table . I love this recipe , but never made it with sole . There are lot of fishermen in my family , I use bass , trout and salmon , of course they are filleted . Now I will try your recipe , sound so good .
    I will also have a small glass of sauvignon ... left over from the fish of course (giggling) .
    Thanks for the delicious dishes and have a blessed week ~Nee~ ;- D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nee,
      You are so sweet for your comment and thanks for visiting. Yes, this recipe with the olives is really easy and delicious, I agree. I found this recipe in a magazine and tried it, wow I really enjoyed the flavor. So I thought I would share. I would think you would have fish on the table quite a lot. The Piccata is really a very tasty dish. Love capers, and the flavor with the wine and lemon are really yummy. So that is why I thought these tow dishes go so nicely together. Both have that lemon flavor. Oh and yes, I think the wine is a good choice as well. I will have a glass while the fish is cooking and then another with dinner. Oh My (giggle)..Glad that you enjoyed this weeks post. Have a blessed week too...
      Dottie :)

      Delete
    2. I love your fish recipe. That's how I really love fish. Those capers on top give a fab flavour to the dish. Bravissima!
      Your broccoli and olives put together are delicious Dottie. I just bought some yesterday I was wondering what to do with them. I often make pasta or I cook them on their own. I like the way you have prepared them. I need to try this.
      Hope you are having a good week. Ciao.

      Delete
    3. Dear Alida,
      Thanks for your comment dear friend. I agree with you, this fish not only looks beautiful, but it is so tasty. The Broccoli with Olives goes so nicely with the fish. Thought it was a perfect match. Hope that you do try this, I know you will love it and I think your children will too. I have to go over to your blog now and check out the spaghetti nests...sounds amazing! Thanks for visiting...Have a great day! Dottie :)

      Delete
  2. Why have I never done a fish piccata? LOVE the idea. And roast broccoli (with olives!) is good stuff. Fun post -- thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, welcome back..hope that you had a great rest...Thanks for visiting and your comment. I know I agree, I haven't had piccata in a long time, sometimes I make chicken piccata as well. The broccoli and olives are delicious and go so nicely with the fish, also, both have lemon in it. Enjoy and have to go to visit your blog now. Yummy...Have a great day..Dottie :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Dottie, first things first! I gave you a 'shout out' re: your Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake that I made, shortly after I saw your recipe, so I posted it!
    I adore your amazing Mediterranean roasted broccoli, with the yummy garlic and olives, and oh, my; I'm so impressed with the fish piccata...works so well pairing with the broccoli. Thanks for sharing! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening Elisabeth,

      Thank you so very much for the shout out, sorry I didn't get to see it until now. I have been really busy and have not had much time to visit other blogs. I just went on your blog and checked it out! So cool, and so glad that I was able to let you enjoy this cake and cookies. All of your other recipes look amazing...I will try to go over and visit more often.

      I agree with you the broccoli with olives and the fish piccata are amazing and go well together. Years ago when I was growing up, my mom made fish, she always had broccoli as a side dish. So I try to do the same, it just seems to go well together. Thanks for your visit and comment, have a great night or day!

      Dottie :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Dottie,
    Roasted Broccoli and Olives is a new one to me. I would never think to combine the two. Very interesting and enticing, Dottie. The fish sounds pretty awesome too, I'll be eating at your house when I get to NY, lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise,
      Thank you for stopping by and your comment. Both of these recipes are really delicious, easy, and good for you. They both go so well together and I love the fact that lemon is used in both recipes. So happy that you liked this post. Anytime, Louise you are in NY just let me know and we can visit. Have a blessed night! Dottie :)

      Delete
  5. Dear Dottie, These are beautiful recipes. I like the broccoli with the olives. I am sure the olives give the broccoli a lovely flavor.
    The fish piccata is delicious as well. These both go together perfectly.
    Have a beautiful weekend. Blessings dear. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Catherine,
      Thanks for your visit...I agree with you, the olives bring the broccoli to another flavor level and so easy. I have made chicken piccata many times but never with the fish. Another easy and flavorful dish. Yes, I thought that each recipe would compliment each other very nicely, especially that they both had lemon in the ingredients. Thanks for your comment and have a wonderful blessed weekend with your family.
      Dottie :)

      Delete