Tuesday, January 13, 2015

“Ricotta Balls Soup” & “Easy Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies” For Wordless Tuesday

Welcome to “Wordless Tuesday!” This is a post with no stories, just a delicious recipe or two….. Today I have two yummy recipes. As we continue with National Soup Month, I have another one to share with you. Plus an “easy peasy” cookie recipe for a dessert to melt in your mouth. Enjoy and everyone keep warm and safe…


One of my favorite soups that my mother made when I was young and still does today is called “Ricotta Balls Soup.” When family members hear that she is making this, their mouth's water and it brings back childhood memories and living at home.

 


                                                                  “Ricotta Balls Soup


Ingredients:
2 lbs of Ricotta Cheese 

4 cloves of peeled whole garlic
Fresh cut parsley / a handful
1 cup of bread crumbs (unflavored)
3/4 cup of Pecorino Romano grated cheese
2 eggs
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup of vegetable oil 
3 to 4 quarts of water


Directions:
Put water in a wide but not deep pot. (Dutch Oven) After water is boiled put in 4 cloves of peeled garlic. Add about 1/4 cup of oil to water. Then add fresh parsley and about 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Lower water to a simmer; meanwhile prepare the Ricotta Balls mixture.



Mix together in a large bowl, ricotta, eggs, grated cheese, salt, pepper, and the bread crumbs. After combined, roll the mixture into small balls, (like meatball shape) make sure they are small, they will expand when cooked. (Like golf ball size) Once they are shaped into balls, place carefully in simmering water to cook. Cook them for about 20-30 minutes. Turn them very carefully in the pot as they will break apart. They tend to puff so do not overcrowd them. The water which becomes the soup, turns a little creamy from the cheese of the ricotta balls and has the flavor as well.  This recipe makes about 30-35 balls depending on how big you make them.

                                                                                                               

                                       “Easy Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies”

Making them is easy when you use a cookie mix! Chocolate candy-topped peanut butter cookies are always a winner. 



Servings: 36

Ingredients:
1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker Peanut Butter cookie mix
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon water
1 egg
2 tablespoons sugar
36 Hershey's Kisses Brand milk chocolates, unwrapped 

 
Directions:
Heat oven to 375°F. In medium bowl, stir cookie mix, oil, water and egg until dough forms. Shape dough into 36 (1-inch) balls; roll in sugar. Place 2 inches apart on un-greased cookie sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Immediately press 1 milk chocolate candy in center of each cookie. Remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely, about 20 minutes. Store cookies in tightly covered container.


Till Next Time…………

Copyright © 2015 “Family Plus Food Equals Love” All Rights Reserved

14 comments:

  1. Dear Dottie, This is a wonderful. Nothing really brings back memories like food does. The shopping, the preparing the cooking and of course helping and finally the meal. It all brings back warm and fond memories. xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine,
      You are right, I find that memories and food always seems to bring you back to times long ago. The world goes around with everything according to food..But the memories are fun and fond. I guess that is why we are "foodies." Besides the food, the memories are very important to us...Thanks for your visit and your comment dear friend. Have a blessed week!
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of ricotta balls in soup... tasty! All your mum's recipes are the best, made with love and expertise. Your cookies are beautifully made, they look like jewellery!
    I hope you are having a good week xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Alida,
      Thank you for your visit and your comment. Seems we both had Ricotta on our minds yesterday...The soup is delicious, creamy, and very easy to make. I love the cookies especially with the chocolate kisses...Each one you take melts in your mouth...Love your description of the cookies. So far so good Alida dear friend...I hope that you also have a wonderful rest of the week....
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Dottie , Your soup looks so tasteful and delicious and one more soup to add to my collection , thanks we need all the warm goodness we can get , warm the tummy .
    You made wonderful memories with your family and you are so blessed to be able to make more .
    The cookies is awesome , my kids love making them . Thanks for sharing . Stay warm and safe . ~Nee~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good afternoon Nee,
      Thank you so very much for stopping over and your comment! Yes, this soup is yummy in the tummy! It brings back memories and at the same time it is delicious. It keeps you warm and not a heavy soup. I knew you must have made these cookies before...aren't they scrumptious? Have a blessed rest of the week, enjoy and you too stay warm and cozy!
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  4. Your soup looks and sounds delicious, Dottie! I've never had it, but all that cheese sounds fabulous, and garlic makes it even better. Just what is needed here on this cold day! I love your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam,
      Thank you for your visit and your lovely comment....I agree Pam, anything with garlic and Riccotta is out of this world...Plus it makes your tummy warm, on these cold days...I enjoy your recipes as well. I tried getting in to see your post eariler but my PC froze up...Even the PC is cold...Haha..Have a great rest of the week....
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  5. I must say, Dottie, this is a new one to me. Matzoh Ball soup yes but I don't think I have ever had Ricotta Ball Soup. I just know it must be delicious though. First it's your mom's recipe and secondly, what recipe could go wrong with Ricotta, lol...

    Thanks for sharing, Dottie...Oooo, I almost passed up on the cookies. I'll take one to go:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Louise,
      Hope all is still going well with you and Marion....Thanks for your comment..Oh Louise I know you would love this soup for sure. You must try it sometimes and don't forget that yummy cookie, I will give you a baggie filled with them for the ride home...Love these especially with chocolate. Have a fabulous rest of the week dear friend...
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  6. Sorry I've been MIA, Dottie! I've been so busy and can't seem to get caught up and am taking a trip again in two days which I haven't finished planning yet! Ugh! I have never heard of ricotta balls in soup, but they must be delicious! I love anything with ricotta and can't believe I've never heard of them before. I have to ask my mother about them tomorrow. I love PB and chocolate together so what a great combo! Lovely posts, Dottie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Christina,
      Thanks for visiting...No problem, I totally understand. I have been trying to catch up as well...Seems the holidays are behind us now and hope to be able to be on FB more. I hope that you have a wonderful safe trip. Are you traveling anywhere exciting? Yes, this soup is something I grew up with. My mom would make this and we all would be thrilled and couldn't wait for dinner. You really should try them when you have some time. They are not hard to make, and you will want them all the time. The flavor of the Ricotta and the texture of them are just amazing. A nice light soup. Plus the cookies, you can't go wrong with these! Thanks for your comment and enjoy your Wednesday...
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  7. I don't think I've ever had ricotta balls in soup. But I love the idea! This is really inspired. We've been eating loads of soup lately -- really need to try this. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,
      Thanks for your visit...I grew up eating these and they are amazing...one of my many favorites. The creaminess and the flavor is just wonderful. Warm and tasty that is all you need...Yes, so have I eating a warm bowl of soup just hits the spot...Besides it is January, National Soup Month...You have to try them...Thanks for your comment...Have a great Wednesday!
      Dottie :)

      Delete