Saturday, December 14, 2013

Day 2 of “The 12 Days Of Christmas Music” & "Philadelphia Snowman Cookies"

"The winter comes: the frozen rut. Is bound with silver bars; the white drift heaps against the hut; and night is pierced with stars." Coventry Patmore

Welcome to Day 2 of “The 12 Days Of Christmas Music.” I hope that you enjoyed yesterday’s post on “Blue Christmas.” Just to remind some of my readers that have just stopped by, what I am doing is everyday for the next 12 days I will post a Christmas song, and share a holiday treat, a homemade gift idea, or just a favorite recipe that I think may go with that song, all leading up to “Christmas Day.” This has been an incredible year! I want to say thank you to my readers, as we prepare for the most joyous time of the year! (Don’t forget to come back tomorrow!)

Paul, my son in 1983
Snowman! Anyone who knows me, knows that one of my favorite types of decorations is “Snowmen.” After your tree is taken down and all things Christmas, are put away for another year, I know with me, I feel a let down. All the hustle and bustle is finished and now we have to wait for spring to decorate again. Wrong, what I do is take out my “Snow People.” It is still winter and I love SNOW! I enjoy walking in it, and watching the snow falling from inside my cozy warm window. When my son was young we would always go out and build a snowman. So, by now you should have figured out what song I am going to spotlight today…. you are correct! It‘s “Frosty the Snowman,”
"Frosty the Snowman" is a popular song written by Walter "Jack" Rollins and Steve Nelson, and was first recorded by Gene Autry in 1950. "Frosty" was subsequently adapted to other media including a popular television special. The song was originally titled "Frosty the Snow Man". The song supposedly takes place in White Plains, New York, or Armonk, New York. Armonk has a parade dedicated to Frosty annually. The song recounts the fictional tale of a snowman that is magically brought to life through a top hat that a group of children place on his head. Although Frosty enjoys roaming throughout the town with the children who constructed him, the sun becomes too much for him to bear and Frosty is forced to leave town, promising he will be back again someday.

In 1969, the Rankin-Bass company, produced a thirty-minute animated television special of Frosty the Snowman that featured the voices of comedians Jimmy Durante as narrator, and Jackie Vernon as Frosty. Three sequels were produced.


Day 2: “Frosty the Snowman”- Lyrics

Frosty the Snowman was a jolly happy soul,
With a corn cob pipe and a button nose, and two eyes made of coal.
Frosty the Snowman, is a fairytale, they say.
He was made of snow, but the children know he came to life one day.
There must have been some magic in that old silk hat they found,
For when they placed it on his head, he began to dance around!
Oh, Frosty, the Snowman, was alive as he could be;
and the children say he could laugh and play,
just the same as you and me.

Thumpety thump, thump, thumpety thump, thump,
look at Frosty go. Thumpety thump, thump, thumpety thump, thump,
over the hills of snow.                                                                                           

Frosty the Snowman, knew the sun was hot that day,
so he said, "Let's run, and we'll have some fun now, before I melt away."
Down to the village, with a broomstick in his hand,
Running here and there, all around the square,
sayin', "Catch me if you can."
He led them down the streets of town, right to the traffic cop;
and only paused a moment, when he heard him holler, "Stop!"

For Frosty, the Snowman, had to hurry on his way,
But he waved goodbye, sayin' "Don't cry, I'll be back again some day.

In honor of “Frosty” I have a recipe called, “Philadelphia® Snowman Cookies.” These cookies are easy and a great way to have a fun day with your children.  This recipe was adapted from Philadelphia Cream Cheese Classic Recipe™ cookbook! 



Philadelphia Snowman Cookies”

Ingredients:
1 pkg. (8 oz) Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
1 cup of powdered sugar
1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter
1/2 tsp of vanilla
2 cups of unbleached flour
1/2 tsp of baking soda
Suggested decorations, such as decorating gels, colored sprinkles, nonpareils, and miniature peanut butter cups 


Directions:
Preheat oven to 325°F. Beat cream cheese, sugar, butter, and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add flour and baking soda, mix well. Shape dough into equal number of 1/2-inch and 1-inch diameter balls. (You should have about 44 of each size ball) Using 1 small and 1 large ball for each snowman, place balls, slightly overlapping, on un-greased baking sheet. Flatten to 1/4inch thickness with bottom of a glass dipped in additional flour. Repeat with remaining dough. Put in refrigerator for about 10 minutes to get a little hard. Then place in the oven and bake 19 to 21 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack. (Each snowman doesn’t have to be perfect, makes each snowman an individual.) Sprinkle each snowman with sifted powdered sugar, if desired.

Special Kitchen Tips From Kraft:
Decorate with peanut butter cups in half. Place 1 candy half on top of each snowman for hat. To soften cream cheese, place completely unwrapped package of cream cheese on microwavable plate. Microwave on HIGH 10 to 15 seconds or until slightly softened.


Till Next Time………………………………...........................

Copyright © 2013 “Family Plus Food Equals Love”  All Rights Reserved






8 comments:

  1. Hi Dottie ,
    What a wonderful and delightful post , My kids love Frosty the Snowman and when I showed them the cookies , they said oh mama , we got to make them for Xmas .
    The picture of your son Paul fits right in with the post , KUDOs my dear Dottie .
    Glad you got snow , hope we get some , just rain here .
    Be back later because my girls want to copy the recipe . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Nee,

    Thank you for stoping by. Yes it is snowing, and I have been out already. Just love to walk in the snow...I know Frosty is one of my fav's as well. No matter how old we get, it seems the child come out in us when Christmas time comes..As soon as I had the idea about this post, I had to look for the photo of my son..yes it is perfect!
    So glad your girls want to make the cookies. They are not only fun but really yummy! Especially if it is raining where you are...Enjoy!Blessings of a great day..Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Dottie,

    Brings back lots of good memories. I listened to Frosty all the time as a little one. My parents had the Gene Autry version.
    Your son looks adorable.

    Great cookie too.

    Didn't Christmas come so fast this year!!
    Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know about the Frosty Snowman song but only because I grew up in Italy.It is a lovely song!
    Nice photo of your son. I have small children but I can see now how quickly time flies!
    Those little snowman biscuits look lovely. I am bookmarking them. Thank you X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for a Happy New Year!
    Bring you Good wishes of happiness.

    Sorry for greeting you earlier,, just don't want miss saying this.
    By the way, I'm Clotee. It's my first time visiting your blog. I am blogger too, and now try my best luck to open an e-store. Nice to know you.

    Regards,
    Clotee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Catherine, Thanks for stopping by. So glad that you like this post, yes, I also remember the Gene Autry version as well. They are great cookies and thanks, my son is almost 40 now..but it was fun to look for these photos, and it does bring back many happy memories.

    Yes, I agree, Christmas came too fast this year..Seems like we just had Halloween and bam, here is Christmas!
    Blessings, for a good week..Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alida,

    Thanks for stopping by...glad that you enjoyed the blog post. I wasn't sure if you knew who Frosty was. But I guess you get the story now. Loved that photo of my son, he and I always built snowmen when he was younger. Glad that you bookmarked the cookies, they are delightful!
    Blessings for a wonderful week ahead! Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome Clotee, thank you for stopping by. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you as well...

    Please do come back, and I have many more delicious recipes and stories to share.

    Peace...Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete