Tuesday, April 1, 2014

An April Fool's Day Recipe Called, "Mock Apple Pie"

Welcome to “Wordless Tuesday!” Where there are no more words, just a mouth watering recipe which I know you have been waiting for…..




I can recall a recipe that my Mom taught me which we would sometimes create on April Fool’s Day. It was a dessert called Mock Apple Pie. This was a good joke for family and friends, as we would tell them that we made Apple Pie, and then the joke was on them as this is not made with any apples. Mock apple pie made its first appearance around the middle of the 19th century. As the North American settlers journeyed west, they yearned for the taste that reminded them of home: apple pie. Apples were hard to come by out in the wilderness, so those amazing pioneer women came up with a dessert that is surprisingly apple-y, considering that it contains neither apples nor apple juice. The recipe first appeared in Mrs. B.C. Whiting’s book, How We Cook In Los Angeles (1894) as “California Pioneer Apple Pie, in 1852.”


While the original recipe used soda crackers, Ritz saw a fabulous marking opportunity. During the Great Depression in the early 1930’s, apples were very expensive at that time, so Ritz adapted the recipe to use its own brand of Ritz crackers. The recipe was found on the back of the cracker box. Mock Apple Pie became a favorite throughout the 30’s and 40’s. 

So try the recipe and see if you can fool your family and friends too.  Enjoy!!!!   
 

"Mock Apple Pie"

Ingredients:
36 Ritz crackers, broken in large pieces (about 1 3/4 cups crumbs)
2 cups of sugar
2 cups of water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Zest of one lemon
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pastry for 2-crust pie



Directions:
Preheat oven to 425°F. Line glass pie plate with bottom of crust of pastry. Place crumbled crackers in pie plate on top of lined pastry. Mix sugar and cream of tartar in saucepan. Gradually stir in water until completely combined. Bring to boil. Reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes, without stirring. Add lemon juice and lemon zest. Allow mixture to cool. Pour syrup over crackers. Dot with butter. Sprinkle with spices. Put top crust on and seal edges. Cut vents into top crust. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool on wire rack. Tastes just like a real apple pie.

Till Next Time………………………………...................

Copyright © 2014 “Family Plus Food Equals Love”  All Rights Reserved

10 comments:

  1. What a great post for April Fool's Day!! I didn't even think to do one! Good for you, Dottie! I didn't know you weren't well, so glad to know you are doing better. :) CC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Christina, Thanks for stopping by...Happy April Fool's Day to you! I was lucky that April 1st fell on Wordless Tuesday, even though I posted some words. Had to explain about the pie. It is a fun day, so I thought this was a great pie to enjoy the day with.

      Thanks for your words about my health, but I am doing better. I fell about a month ago on my walker and I did a number on my body, even broke a tooth. With Lupus and MS, that I have been blessed with it is hard to get back and recuperate. I am thankful that I had a few blogs already and waiting, just had to update them. I was told to stay off of FB as not to get stressed...(yea right) So I just went on in the mornings and at night, plus when I had to post my blog. Doing better but need to pace myself, don't want the Drs. to take me off of FB again. Thank you for thinking of me you are very kind and a wonderful friend. :) Dottie

      Delete
  2. Good morning Dottie , what a great post for 'April Fool's Day ' . Family loves apple pie ... heck my family looks good food , well they are Italians , what else can I say ;-D , I bake this pie quite often , I really like your recipe with the cream of tartar , it will be on my dinner table this evening ;-D .
    When I make potato salad and use to much mayo , I used saltine crackers .
    Dottie I am so glad you are feeling better and you do as the doctors orders or he may through you in the hospital without your computer and then you will be bored out of your mind .
    Dear Dottie , I will put you on my prayer group list for a fast return to be able to get back in the top of things . Sometime you need to take a couple of minutes to take your mind off your problems ... but do as the doctor ordered and just let a little dab do you . Here's to a bless and wonderful week my friend . Thanks for sharing ... Nee :) .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nee, Thanks for visiting today...I know what you mean about everyone loves good fresh foods, that is for sure all Italians, but I also think it is important for other cultures as well. This recipe is amazing how it tastes like apples. That is a good idea using saltine crackers with too much mayo. Never thought of that.

      Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. I really appreciate that, dear Nee. You are very kind and sweet to have me on your prayer group list. I am trying to do what the Dr has said, have to pace myself. Thank you again...
      Blessings dear Nee...Dottie :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Dottie!
    Mock recipes are the perfect way to celebrate April 1st. There are many of them from the depression but it seems the Mock Apple Pie is the most "famous" thanks to Ritz I'm sure:)

    Now, now, Dottie, you must listen to those doctors and take it easy. Marion and I will keep you in our prayers also. Stay well, Dottie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, Thanks for visiting on April Fool's Day! Yes, Mock Apple Pie is the most famous of all the recipes that Ritz has, I think. Still am amazed how it tastes like apples are in it!
      You are so kind and thoughtful, Louise. I appreciate your words and prayers. I promise I will listen to the Drs. I guess they know best! Please tell Marion, thank you from me too.
      Blessings for a great rest of the week...Dottie :)

      Delete
  4. I have never seen this pie before. Interesting though. I enjoy reading about the cakes you have in America. It looks really good! I didn't realize you fell so badly Dottie. So sorry. Take it easy and don't worry about commenting on my blog I will come and visit you anyway! Your posts are always interesting.
    Ciao cara X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Alida,
      Thank you for stopping by...I figured you don't have these types of pies in the UK. It is a fun day April Fool's Day. People do pranks, and fool one another. Every time I make this pie out of Ritz crackers, I can never understand how it tastes like there are apples in the pie. But it is really cool.
      Alida, thank you so much for your words and thoughts about my health. You and all the other ladies are so very caring. Yes, it has been a rough time, being ill, but I am doing the best I can at this time. You are so sweet, but I can still command on the blog posts. I always enjoy your posts as well. I just have to pace myself. I have been dealing with these illnesses for many years since, 1998 at least. Thank you for saying that my posts are interesting. I love to hear good comments. I try. Anyhow, thanks again, you are the best...Blessing to you and your family.
      Ciao! Dottie :)

      Delete
  5. dear Dottie, I never had this pie but it does sound interesting and I am sure it is very good. I know Tammy will want to try making this. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Catherine,
    This pie is amazing, I never can understand how it tastes like apples when there aren't any. This recipe has been around for a long time, and I thought it was a perfect one for April Fool's Day. I would think that Tammy would love this..she seems to have a sweet tooth. I am so glad that you were able to read this post and thanks for your visit! Blessing on this night..Dottie :)

    ReplyDelete