Tuesday, April 29, 2014

“Shrimp, Avocado, and Grapefruit Salad” For "Wordless Tuesday"


Welcome to “Wordless Tuesday!” Where there are no more words, just a mouth watering recipe which I know you have been waiting for….. 






                                     “Shrimp, Avocado, and Grapefruit Salad




Yield: Serves 4
Total: 48 Minutes

Ingredients:
2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
12 ounces peeled and de-veined uncooked medium shrimp
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1 grapefruit (red)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon chopped shallots
6 cups chopped romaine lettuce 
1 peeled avocado, cut into 12 wedges


Preparation:
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Sprinkle shrimp with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add shrimp to pan; cook 3 minutes or until shrimp are done, stirring frequently. Remove from pan; keep warm. Peel and section grapefruit over a bowl, reserving 3 tablespoons juice.

Combine grapefruit juice, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper, tarragon, brown sugar, and shallots in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add lettuce; toss. Arrange 2 cups lettuce mixture on each of 4 plates. Top each serving with 3 avocado wedges; divide shrimp and grapefruit sections evenly among servings.

 

 

***Wine pairings for recipe: Sparkling Wine, or French Chablis (White)





 







…..Recipe adapted from: “Cooking Light” December 2011

Till Next Time………………………………..................................

Copyright © 2014  “Family Plus Food Equals Love” All Rights Reserved

10 comments:

  1. Hi Dottie!

    Wow! What a combination of goodness is packed into this salad. It not only sounds refreshing, it has me craving shrimp too!!! The brown sugar is a sweet touch:)

    Thank you so much for sharing, Dottie...Keep that umbrella handy, lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise,

      Thanks for stopping by..I agree with you that this salad is packed with goodness. I love salads and especially when it contains all of these scrumptious ingredients. Salads are great also when it is warm out and you just don't feel like cooking. Delicious and nutritious! My umbrella is handy, as you know we are going to be in the rain for the next few days...

      Thanks Louise, Blessing on a great rest of the week...Dottie :)

      Delete
  2. Good evening Dottie ,
    Love the salad , all the ingredients combine together ill make a nice lunch or dinner with crackers , fruit or /and cheese , you can do a lot of things with this salad . Like your choice of pairing ... I think I will have the French Chablis . Have a blessed week and thinks for sharing :)
    PS: I think your photo of the salad looks great ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening Nee, I was worried about you, hope you were nowhere near the tornados touched down? Thank you for stopping over to visit...Yes, salads are one of my favorites to eat. This one is packed with goodness and it is easy to prepare. Yes, another recipe to let your imagination go wild. I agree with you, I really like the French Chablis, so I will pour you a glass as well. You have a safe and blessed week too. Yes, the photo is bigger... Dottie :)

      Delete
    2. Dear Dottie , thank you so much for your concern , by the Grace of God all we had was wind and rain . One touched town in Bossier City near Barksdale Air Force Base , about 20/30 miles from me . I live a very long distance from the closest one that hit in Ark. Have a great week dear and talk soon . ;-D

      Delete
    3. If I didn't have a shellfish allergy, I'd try it!

      Delete
    4. Hi Orlando, Thanks for stopping by, I can understand what you mean. My grandmother (Nanni) also had a shellfish allergy. But what was strange, she was able to eat mussels. You maybe able to substitute small pieces of saute chicken. Thanks again and have a blessed rest of the week....Dottie :)

      Delete
    5. Dear Nee, So glad that you were not in the path of destruction. I felt so bad for those people. I was thinking of you as the news was reporting about Louisiana. Thank God...and thanks for filling me in..I always worry about my friends...Blessings..Dottie :)

      Delete
  3. Dear Dottie, This is a beautiful salad. It has everything in it the protein the fruit and romaine and most of all flavor!
    It is healthy too.
    I hope you are safe and dry with this weather. It has been so cold and stormy and flooding too. Oh well, as long as everyone is safe and well.
    Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Catherine,

      I first want to say that I am so glad that you and the other ladies have become such good friend. It is so heartwarming to know that you all care about each other so much.Thanks...

      Now to the salad, yes I love this salad, as you said it has everything you need and the flavor is amazing! I have made this many times and everyone raves when I make it. I also like the textures of the foods, it adds to your enjoyment.

      Yes, thank you I am safe and dry...It has been really nasty out and cold. So far where I am I have no flooding...thank goodness. Hope that you are safe and dry too. I think the weather people said that by Friday it will be much nicer.

      Blessings dear Catherine, for a great Thursday! Thanks for stopping by.. Dottie :)

      Delete