Tuesday, February 10, 2015

“Apple Orchard Meatloaf” & “Apricot-Glazed Sweet Potatoes” For A Winter's Night Meal

Welcome to “Wordless Tuesday!” Where there are no stories just a fabulous and delicious recipe or two….. 

“What Will We Eat Tonight?” Well, if that is your question, you’ll find a good answer here. So, come with me and lets look at my two recipes that I hope will be a winter favorite. My first recipe is called “Apple Orchard Meatloaf,”an all American favorite that has a few irresistible flavor twists. Then as you round off your menu, I am serving along as a side a scrumptious dish called, “Apricot-Glazed Sweet Potatoes.” Meatloaf and sweet potatoes, a tasty party in your mouth! 

The “Apple Orchard Meatloaf,” recipe I am sharing is from “A Winter Cook Book.” This cookbook was sent to me in the mail. It does not have any name or product on cover or pages. But have used many of the recipes in the past. Yummy!

Apple Orchard Meatloaf

Serves: 4-6
Time: 1 hour cooking time

Mushroom Gravy
Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
3/4 cup applesauce
1 egg
1/2 cup bread crumbs (plain)
1 package (1 oz) dry onion soup mix
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard - divided
2 tablespoons brown sugar
12 ounces jar of mushroom or beef gravy
Shallow roasting pan

Directions:
Heat oven to 350
°F degrees. In large bowl place beef, pork, applesauce, egg, bread crumbs, onion soup mix, salt, pepper and 2 tbsp. mustard. Mix well to thoroughly combine ingredients. (Clean hands do this job the best)  In shallow roasting pan, pat meat mixture evenly into loaf approx 8 x 4 x 2 inches. Bake for 30 min. In small bowl, stir together remaining tbsp. of mustard with brown sugar. Spread evenly on top of meatloaf. Bake for another 30 min, until meatloaf is nicely browned and fully cooked. Carefully remove meatloaf  to cutting board while making gravy. Pour pan drippings into saucepan and skim fat from the top of drippings. Stir in gravy and heat, stirring until hot. Slice meatloaf and serve with gravy. Remember, if you have leftovers, you can have cold meatloaf sandwiches the next day…

                                        ***************************************************

Apricot-Glazed Sweet Potatoes

I usually serve this as a side dish with pork or a meatloaf. As the wonderful aroma wafts through the house, I'm always asked, "Is dinner ready yet?" So don't be surprised if your gang comes to the table extra-hungry.


Sweet Potato
Prep: 15 min.
Bake: 20 min.
Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients:
3 pounds sweet potatoes, cooked, peeled and cut up
1 cup packed brown sugar
5 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup apricot jam
1/2 cup hot water
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans


Directions:
Place sweet potatoes in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish and set aside. In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and cinnamon; stir in apricot jam, water and orange peel. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat; stir in butter and walnuts or pecans. Pour over sweet potatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Enjoy!


Till Next Time………

Copyright © 2015 “Family Plus Food Equals Love” All Rights Reserved

10 comments:

  1. Good afternoon Dottie ,
    I do so hope you are warm and safe and this bad weather haven't effected you to much . The newscasters said it was another blast to Boston yesterday and more to come .
    I so enjoyed your wordless post , the meatloaf with applesauce should have a delicious taste , different but the ingredients bring it all together for a delightful dish .
    my family loves sweet potatoes , I make mine almost the same but I call them candid yams . I will try your this weekend , I have sweet potatoes on the menu .
    Thanks so much for sharing and a great rest of the week :) Nee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening Nee,
      Thank you for your comment. So far on Long Island, NY the weather is really cold, some snow on the ground, but we have snow that is still piled up from a few weeks ago with that Blizzard we had. I know I have heard that Boston keeps getting hit. They have no where to put all of the snow. So glad that you enjoyed these two recipes. I know the meatloaf is a little different, but it is really tasty especially with the gravy on top. I could eat sweet potatoes every day. I love them and they are so good for you as well. Yes, I would call this also like a candied yams. My mom used to make candied yams with marshmallows and maple syrup. They were really good too...I am glad that you will be trying this dish this weekend. You as well have a blessed and great weekend.
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Dottie:)
    That is probably the most subdued cookbook I have seen in a while, Dottie. Well at least you've been finding it useful:)

    I love the ingredients in that meatloaf. I often add applesauce to meatloaf. It works really, really well with ground turkey which is usually dry as a meat loaf or meat balls.

    I'm very curious about the apricot glaze for the sweet potatoes. Very interesting...I'll be trying that for sure, Dottie.

    Thank you so much for sharing, Dottie. I hope this next storm skims right past you. Fingers crossed:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening Louise,
      Thanks for your visit and comment. I guess you have seen or have this cookbook. Only a few pages and I have no idea where I got it from. But I have been using the meatloaf recipe for a long time. You are correct, the applesauce makes the meatloaf moist. Oh yes the sweet potatoes are so yummy, and the apricot glaze is so good. It is like candy. Yes, dear friend I hope the next storm passes us and you too. I know that Pa. has gotten a lot of snow. My niece goes to college in Pa. and she didn't have classes the last few days due to the snow. Right now it is really cold and it is supposed to get down to -4 on the weekend during the day here on Long Island.. Brrrr...Keep warm and safe as you have a good and blessed week...
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  3. Oh what a fabulous smell there must have been in your kitchen! These are proper winter warming dishes. The look of those glazed sweet potatoes is amazing! I have never made meatloaf and I don't know why as it is so good. My mum used to make it and we all loved it, in winter or summer. It is always a great dish.
    I hope all is well with you have a good day xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Alida,
      Thanks for stopping by...Yes my kitchen was smelling so good and nice and warm too. The glazed sweet potatoes was amazing, what a flavor. The meatloaf was also so moist and very tasty especially with the applesauce mixed in. You absolutely have to try this meatloaf recipe, oh and don't forget the gravy. Your mum must have make a wonderful meatloaf. In Italy, I think they put a hard boiled egg inside. It is always a good meal as you said. Thanks for your comment. Hope you have a good day!
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  4. I never make meatloaf! I should -- well, I should make this meatloaf. Great recipe! And I'd serve it with the sweet potatoes -- you've taken an already great-tasting veggie up another notch in flavor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear John,
      Thanks for your visit and your comment. Oh, I know what you mean. My mom used to make meatloaf when I was home and it was good, she used the same recipe that she would make her meatballs. But when I started using this version of meatloaf is was the best. So moist due to the applesauce and the gravy just adds another layer of flavor. Now those sweet potatoes are amazing, so tasty and they are really good for you whether you make them like this recipe or just plain baked. Enjoy...Hope that you have a wonderful rest of the week...
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  5. Dear Dottie, These little cookbooks that come in the mail or you find at the grocery store sometimes have the best ideas.
    I love a good meatloaf!! I remember going to school with the most delicious left-over meatloaf sandwich! I still cannot make a meatloaf as good as my mom did. Her meatloaf as well as so many other dishes I just cannot duplicate.
    Yours sounds wonderful and the gravy looks great.
    Be safe, warm, cozy and well. xoxo dear friend. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Catherine,
      Thank you for your visit. Yes, I agree that sometimes these little books have the best recipes. I have been making this a long time and it is a favorite in the family. Oh, my yes, my mom would make a great meatloaf and the sandwich was always better the next day. Sometimes it just seems like there is nothing like the love that went into the family recipes that we can never duplicate. Thanks for your comment dear friend. The same to you and the family as we go into the deep freeze this weekend. A hot cup of anything, a good book, and a blanket sounds good to me. Blessings...
      Dottie :)

      Delete