Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Buon Carnevale a tutti!! Italian "Cenci" Cookies & “Frittelle” Doughnuts For Carnevale!


It’s Carnevale time !!! Being an Italian American, Carnevale is celebrated much like Mardri Gras, but with an Italian flare to it. Carnevale which means in Italian “goodbye to meat” is celebrated before the beginning of Lent. It is the last chance to party-hardy before the days of abstinence. Traditionally during Lent, people refrained from eating, meat, dairy, fats, and sugars. So to dispose of these types of foods and drinks they involved the whole community to consume this food many years ago. You could say a giant party thus became Carnevale.

The Lenten season officially starts on February 18, (this year) Ash Wednesday and continues till Easter Sunday. The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the faithful, as they await the Resurrection of Jesus Christ on Easter Sunday. This is done by prayer, penance, and giving up certain types of luxuries for this season. A favorite food or drink for example; chocolate or soft drinks may be what someone would give up for Lent.


I remember when I was a young girl my parents always made sure that we would give up something that was important and special to us. I remember the one thing that I would give up every year which was chocolate. As you, my readers know, I love chocolate and this was extremely hard for me. Then on Easter Sunday we would get a basket filled with goodies like a chocolate bunny and I was able to enjoy my chocolate fix once again.

Carnevale is a festival traditionally held by Christians, but many cities and regions worldwide celebrate with large events leading up to Ash Wednesday. In fact the last day of Carnival is called "Mardi Gras" in New Orleans and precedes Ash Wednesday. This day also is called by other names as “Shove Tuesday,” or “Fat Tuesday.” Most Christians celebrate Shrove Tuesday - in particular Methodists, Roman Catholics, Presbyterians, Anglicans, Lutherans, and Episcopalians. It is not a traditional part of the Baptist church. For Christians it is a time to reflect, confess and ready one's spirit for the forty days of repentance that is Lent. That's where the term "shrove" comes from. "To shrive" is to hear confessions. Thus, Shrove Tuesday is a day of feasting as well as penance. In England, it is also called “Pancake Tuesday” because of the traditional pancake meal that occurs on that day.

 
There are many places that these festivals take place. To name a few famous ones which are held in the cities of Venice, Viareggio, Ivrea, Acireale, Milan, Verona, and Putignano, in Italy. They have a variety of celebrations which include floats, parades, stilt walkers, throwing confetti, and masquerade balls. Masks are worn to allow people of the lower class to be mixed and undetected with the aristocrats.  

The traditional colors of the masks are purple, green, and gold. These colors capture the essence of the Holy Trinity. In the Christian faith it is related also to the Three Kings of the Orient. The colors represent purple for justice, green for faith, and gold for power. The Carnival is a colorful, joyful party during which tasty and rich dishes are traditionally prepared. Loved by young and old, it is celebrated with masks that create a humorous and playful atmosphere. Like any self-respecting party, Carnival is also an excellent opportunity to share something special like the recipes. 

Today I have two sweet desserts for Carnevale! The first one is called “Cenci” in Italian which means “rags/ribbons.” When I was young I remember my grandmother “Nanni” used to make this type of Italian cookie. Instead of long strips she would take up the two ends and make a knot in the middle before frying them. They would look like bow ties or bows but how sweet and yummy they were especially with some powdered sugar or honey on them. Delizioso!
    
Cenci”

Ingredients:
3 eggs
3 Tablespoons of sugar
1/2 tsp of vanilla or almond extract
1/2 teaspoon of salt   
2 cups of unbleached all purpose flour   
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons of unsalted softened butter
Oil for deep frying
Confectioner’s sugar or honey

Directions:
In a bowl, beat eggs, sugar, and salt until frothy. Stir in vanilla or almond extract. Sift flour with baking powder and gradually add to batter. Add butter and mix well. Turn out on a floured surface: knead for at least 10 minutes. Divide dough into half; then roll each as thin as possible (noodle thickness) Cut into 5” x 1” strips with a knife or scalloped pastry wheel. Preheat oil to about 375°F; then fry strips until golden brown about 1 minute per side. Drain on paper towels, sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar or drizzle honey on top. Cookies are best served the same day.


My second recipe is called Italian Fritters or Frittelle. “Frittelle” are Venetian fried doughnuts served during Carnivale. Yummy for sure!! 


“Frittelle
Total Time: 20 Minutes
Yield: 12 servings

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Oil for deep frying
Confectioners' sugar
Granulated sugar

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. In a small bowl, combine the egg, milk, and butter. Add to dry ingredients and mix well. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°F. Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls, five or six at a time, into oil. Fry until browned, about 1-2 minutes, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Roll warm doughnut holes in confectioners' sugar or granulated sugar.

Till Next Time………..

Copyright © 2015 “Family Plus Food Equals Love” All Rights Reserved

12 comments:

  1. Dottie, there's a lot of good info here. I wasn't aware of the definition of shrove, interesting, and had forgotten the significance of the gorgeous colors. The cookies are new to me and look and sound delicious and the doughnuts look yummy too! Perfect for a great celebration for young and old, wish I were there. Thanks for sharing and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam,
      Thanks for your visit...Oh yes, there is so much info on this day..I love to learn new and interesting things about food and about the holiday of that food. I have never been in New Orleans, or in Italy at this time, but I can imagine how beautiful it would be. Sometimes they call this cookie "Chiacchiere"...They are delicious and the doughnuts are so good as well. So glad that you enjoyed this post, have a wonderful Carnevale day!
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  2. Good afternoon Dottie ,
    What a lovely post , some of the things I knew and with your help , I learned more .
    Mardis Gras is going full swing her , it lasts the month of February . I was fortunate enough to go to N.O. last week to see one of their many Parades ( I was born in N.O.) so I make my trip to be in the Gemini parade . N.O. is only a 3 hour drive from Shreveport . We also have parades here each weekend and crown a King and Queen . Great fun .
    You have explain so many interesting things and thank you for that my friend .
    Hubby's aunt always make Cenci and they are delicious , she makes them the same as you . I bet when you make the Frittelle , it's hard to eat just one or two . I make them the same as you during Carnivale and throughout the year I make them with pecans or walnuts . Kids call them donuts without the hole .
    Thanks for sharing and have a great week . :) Nee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nee,
      Thanks for your visit.I would think that you would know the whole story about this day as you are right in the middle of the festivities. That must be so much fun to visit New Orleans and see the parades. I would love to see that someday..it is on my bucket list. Thank you for your comment, I always love to learn about the different customs of other places and of course the foods. Yes, the Cenci are yummy especially with honey on them...and you are correct dear friend it is so hard not to sit down and stuff your face with these goodies. They are addicting.. I like that idea of using pecans and or walnuts. Have to try that next time. I would think that your children would love these. You have a great week...blessings,
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  3. Oh I grew up with frittelle and "crostoli" "chiacchiere" "cenci" "galani".. there are so many names for cenci. In my region in Friuli we know them as "crostoli". My mum and grandma used to bake them every year and it was an enormous amount.. we used to it them for at least a month afterwards and we would have to give them away to friends and neighbours as we had so many!
    I can never forget the fab smell of crostoli and frittelle cooking after coming home from school.
    Sometimes when I make them they don't "rise" or I don't get those bubbles of air inside even though I use baking powder. Any ideas why? I love yours here, they look perfectly made!
    I enjoyed reading your post Dottie. Tomorrow is lent already, time flies! Soon enough it will be Easter. I am looking forward to bake lots of chocolatey things! Take care ciao!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Alida,
      Thanks for your visit and your lovely comment. Yes, these goodies are called many names, but whatever they call them..they are yummy! I remember them being called Crostoli as well. We also made so many, but they always managed to get eaten somehow. Friends, neighbors, family would always walk away with a plate filled full of them. I am not sure about your question, why yours don't have the bubbles. That is always my favorite part, as the honey or sugar gets caught inside them. The only thing I can think is that maybe the baking powder is older, but I am sure you use yours a lot. When the baking powder is older it doesn't puff them up. Other than that I have no idea. Maybe you are kneading to much..Hope that helps you, but glad that you loved this post and the recipes. Yes, dear friend Ash Wednesday already. Seems like it was just Christmas...Yes, I am looking forward to Spring and the foods for spring as well. Have a good blessed week and again thank you...
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  4. Really interesting and informative post! Love all the pictures. And the recipes? Well, yes. Just yes. You've outdone yourself -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear John,
      Thank you John! You are so kind. I know the photos are always my favorite part of my research. So glad that you enjoyed this post and my recipes. Thanks for your comment and visit. Off to your post now..Have a great weekend!
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Dottie,
    What a most delighful post. Sounds like you have all the Carnivale bases covered quite thoroughly:)

    The recipes you have included are just perfect. I haven't had or baked these in so many years I can't even remember. Once again you have managed to stir up wonderful tasty memories. Thanks Dotti!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Louise,
      Thanks so much for your visit and your lovely comment. So happy that you enjoyed this post and the recipes. I always seem to gravitate to the traditional recipes that my family always made at this time of the year. They are classic but yumm---yyyy. Can't believe that today is Ash Wednesday already. Before you know, it will be Easter...Have a great rest of the week, dear friend...Keep warm we are going into the deep freeze again...
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  6. Dear Dottie, These desserts brought back good memories. My mom used to make both of these treats. I loved them so much!! It was so much fun to help her in the kitchen to make these.
    I must try making these soon.
    We are in for some more cold weather so keep warm and be safe.
    xoxo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Catherine,
      Thanks...I know there are so many wonderful memories that take us back to long ago..especially with food..As I was frying these goodies I always remember my grandmother making them, I can just see her hand mixing everything together. So happy that you were able to remember some great memories as well. You must try them again...they are delicious. Thank you for your visit and your comment dear friend. Yes, we are in for some more freezing temps. Have a great rest of the week.
      Dottie :)

      Delete