Friday, May 29, 2015

"Bacon-Wrapped Beef Patties" For National Hamburger Month

“I’d gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.” Does that sound familiar? Yes, those of us that are from the older generation remember a character from Popeye called “Wimpy,” who just like most Americans has a fascination for hamburgers. Why is it, that the “Hamburger” is on America’s top 10 list for go to food? A hamburger or burger is a sandwich that consists of a cooked patty of ground meat and is generally served with various garnish or condiments like ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, onion, relish, pickles, and we can’t forget the cheese. All of this is packed inside a sliced bun, often baked specially shaped for this purpose. Mostly the meat patty is beef, but hamburgers can also be made with ground chicken, turkey, and veggies. I guess with that being said, I can understand why everyone is in love with the hamburger.

The month of May is “National Hamburger Month” and is celebrated each year by a huge amount of people. This months special celebration should not be confused with May 28th (which was yesterday) “National Hamburger Day.” Did you know that the word hamburger comes from the Hamburg steak, (pounded beef) which originated in the German city of Hamburg? The term “hamburger” was first recorded in English in the year 1884 but was probably used much earlier. The recipe was brought to North America by large numbers of people emigrating from Germany at the time. The form hamburger steak first appeared in a Washington state newspaper in 1889. The first recipe close to the current idea of a hamburger, using ground beef mixed with onion and pepper dates from 1902.


Some Hamburger fun facts:
Americans consume 14 billion a year and buy 5 billion hamburgers. “Speedy” was the original mascot for McDonald’s. McDonald’s is the most popular hamburger restaurant in the U.S. White Castle is the oldest continuous running hamburger chains. 1945 was the year the first self-serve McDonald’s opened.

There is no doubt that hamburgers are on the top of all Americans go to food, young and old. When I was young coming from an Italian background, my mom didn’t serve us hamburgers frequently. We ate more meatballs than hamburgers. Hamburgers were more of a “summer” food, grilled on the BBQ for Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Fathers day, Labor Day, picnics, and family reunions. I remember those picnics with the family, having a juicy hamburger with all the fixings. I loved mine with ketchup, cheese, lettuce, and a pickle which was in-between a sesame seeded bun lightly toasted on the grill. When you took a bite, the cheese would be gooey and the ketchup would get all over your mouth. Besides the hamburger which was the main attraction, my favorite side to go along with the hamburger would be thin French fries dripping in ketchup. As we grew up, my mother then would cook us hamburgers, for dinner throughout the year. It doesn’t matter which way you eat a hamburger because it sill is and will always remain America’s favorite food. So let’s have fun and celebrate this month by grilling up your own juicy hamburgers for you and your family!  


Italian Hillside
My recipe this week is meal that takes the hamburger to another level. My family loves these spruced-up hamburgers all year long. Bacon flavors the meat and adds a tasty twist. Which ever way you devour it, you can taste all of the flavors wrapped into the ground beef. So delicious that with each bite you are taken to a Café overlooking the rolling Italian hillside. Molto Bene!!! 


"Bacon-Wrapped Beef Patties

Prep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min. Yield:10 servings


Ingredients:
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
2/3 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup ketchup
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
2 pounds ground beef
10 bacon strips
10 hamburger buns, split, optional


Directions:
In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into ten 3/4-in.-thick patties. Wrap each patty with a bacon strip; secure with wooden toothpicks. Grill patties, uncovered, over medium heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads 160°F. Discard toothpicks. Serve on buns if desired.

******Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec, or Zinfandel.

(Please Drink Responsibly!)


Till Next Time……………………………….........

Copyright © 2015 “Family Plus Food Equals Love” All Rights Reserved

7 comments:

  1. My husband would *love* this recipe. I'll have to try it out one day this summer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Audra,
      Thanks for your visit and your comment. Anyone who loves bacon and burgers is in for a treat with this recipe...Have a good weekend...
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  2. Good evening Dottie,
    I am loving this post , love hamburgers , also love beef and bacon .

    Love filet mignon steaks . I was laughing out loud , it's French for ( "cute fillet" or "dainty fillet" ) so I will call your hamhurgers "cute or dainty" hamburgers ... my family are going love these burgers .

    I can feed them good without much effort and enjoy with them .
    What a great idea to mix all the ingredients together and have the tomatoes , lettuce and pickles on the side . I think I will use the kosher spears .
    Have a great weekend my friend and with my first bite , I will tip my glass to you ....
    Nee ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good afternoon Nee,
      I agree with you Nee, who doesn't love a burger? I usually eat a turkey burger but you can still do the same thing to them. Sometimes I make sliders, now those are really small. Thanks for your comment, and I know that your family will love these. Yes, sometimes you just want to taste the burger not all the rest, so I love it on the side. Now those Kosher Spears are really good, love all kinds of pickles. Thanks for visiting and I will tip my glass of wine back to you, dear friend. Enjoy your weekend..
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  3. I had amazing hamburgers in my town. If you use good meat and bread it can be a real delicacy but I am sure in America burgers are better than anywhere else. Americans invented them! I love the one with bacon too.
    Have a good week Dottie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who doesn't love hamburgers? I sure do! Love the idea of wrapping them in bacon -- genius! This is really good stuff -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Dottie, I certainly do remember Whimpy! One of my favorite cartoons growing up was Popeye. I wish kids had as much fun as we did. It was simply a different time.
    A hamburger is one of my favorites. There really is nothing quite like the taste of a good burger! with all of the trimmings.
    I hope that all is well, Please take good care my friend. xoxoxo Catherine

    ReplyDelete