Tuesday, May 19, 2015

“Strawberries & Cream Pie” Plus “Strawberry Bellini's” For "National Strawberry Month"


“National Strawberry Month” is when we celebrate the love of strawberries and take notice of all the value this delicious fruit has to offer. So don't let this month pass you by without treating your family and yourself with some delicious strawberry treats in celebration of “National Strawberry Month.”


How we use strawberries; In addition to being consumed fresh, strawberries are frozen or made into preserves. Strawberries are a popular addition to dairy products, as in strawberry flavored ice cream, milkshakes, smoothies, and yogurts. Strawberry pie is also popular. They are also dried and used in cereal and cereal bars. Strawberries, the romantic picnic food. Strawberries have always been popular placed in picnic baskets for romantic outings. Strawberries dipped in cream or chocolate has been a long favorite for many years.
Strawberry Nutrition; One cup of strawberries constitutes approximately 45 calories and is an excellent source of vitamin C and Flavonoids. When I visit the farmers market, the first place I look is where the fresh fruits and vegetables are located. I love to see so many beautiful varieties, especially when they are radiant with the sunlight over them for the world to see. As I am picking some berries to come home with me for a luscious pie, I am reminded of summer time. Picnics, BBQ‘s, the beach, or just a lazy warm afternoon at home in the back yard enjoying the spring and summer weather. There is nothing like smelling the aromas of a sweet fruit pie cooling on the kitchen counter. Pies are one of my favorite desserts. I adore all kinds of pies savory or sweet. I think that everyone loves pies especially my family, they enjoy fruit pies the most. 


I would love to share two recipes this week with you; one is called, “Strawberries and Cream Pie” This is the time of the year when the strawberries are the sweetest and the most plentiful. So as you are eating a slice of this delicious pie, you now need a cocktail to make it a perfect sunny day! A “Strawberry Bellini” is on the menu today, cold, refreshing, and gives you the feeling that you are on a Island of your own. Enjoy and as they say in Italian, Mangia!! (Eat)




Strawberries and Cream Pie”
Serves: 12

Ingredients:
1 refrigerated pie crust or if you can make your own crust.


Filling:
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese softened
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup fresh whipped cream
2 pints (4 cups) cleaned strawberries 



Garnish:
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Directions:
Heat oven to 450°F. Make pie crust as directed on box for One-Crust Baked Shell using 9-inch glass pie pan. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely, about 30 minutes. In large bowl with electric mixer, beat cream cheese on medium speed until fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar and almond extract until well blended. In small bowl with electric mixer, beat whipping cream on high speed until soft peaks form. Fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture. Spoon into cooled baked shell. Arrange strawberries, pointed side up, over cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate while preparing garnish. In 1-quart saucepan, melt chocolate chips and butter over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth. Drizzle over strawberries and cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until set. If you any left store in refrigerator.

                                      ***********************************************

Strawberry Bellini

Ingredients:
1 bottle Prosecco
2 cups pureed strawberries
Fresh cleaned Strawberries for garnish



Directions:
Place 8 Champagne flutes in the freezer for 20 minutes. Open the Prosecco and let it stand in an ice bucket for 5 minutes. Into a pitcher, pour the 2 cups pureed strawberries. Gently pour in the bottle of Prosecco and stir gently to combine. Divide among Champagne flutes. Add a few fresh cleaned strawberries to the Champagne glasses as a garnish and serve.

For Children Friendly Bellini’s: substitute sparkling water for the Prosecco.

(Recipe courtesy Mario Batali)       

Please Drink Responsibly!






Till Next Time………………………………

Copyright © 2015 “Family Plus Food Equals Love” All Rights Reserved

12 comments:

  1. I didn't realize May was National Strawberry Month. Good to know. :-)

    I just bought my first electric mixer--a purchase that was long overdue--so I can "level up" on pie-baking. I would love to try out your recipe, but first I'll be making a mixed berry pie with cream filling and graham cracker crust for my aunt's birthday at the end of this month. And I, too, am discovering that my family enjoys fruit pies the most. (Can't really blame them).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Audra,
      So nice that you are visiting and commenting, I thank you so much. So glad that you have a mixer now, the world will be open to you...Yes, I agree pie making is awesome and tastes yummy too! Hope that your berry pie for your aunt's birthday is a big hit. Enjoy and have a wonderful week...
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  2. Good evening Dottie ,
    The pie looks deliciously good ,
    My girls are discovering pie making , with strawberries so plentiful , they are great a t berry pie making .
    Showed them this recipe ... they sent their brothers out to pick strawberries and as I write this they are busy in the kitchen .
    Great post and thanks for sharing .
    Have a great week and do so hope you are enjoying your nice weather . Thanks for sharing Nee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nee,
      Thanks for your visit...Oh my goodness, this pie is simply heavenly. I love strawberries..and you are right they are plentiful. I am thrilled for you Nee that your girls love making pies! They will be a help to you and love baking at the same time. Thanks for your comment and yes the weather is getting better slowly but surely, Have a wonderful week....Hope your Aunty is doing well....
      Dottie :) x

      Delete
  3. Love strawberries! We're getting our fill of them at the moment. ;-) Never made a strawberry Bellini -- I need to try that. And that pie looks outrageously good! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,
      Thank you for your comment. I know strawberries are plentiful now, but I can never get enough of them. The Strawberry Bellini is really a light drink, but it is so flavorful. Yes, I know the pie not only looks outrageous but it is delicious. I am going to your blog now...have to catch up. Have a wonderful rest of the week.
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  4. This is nice to know, I wasn't aware of Strawberry month! They always remind me of my mother, she loved everything strawberries and we had more than our share of them. Now, I will be needing a Strawberry Bellini! Sounds nutritious with the vitamins, and colorful and yummy! Thanks for the recipe! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam,
      Thanks for your comment...I am glad that you liked this post and it reminded you of your mom. Strawberries are amazing, so good for you and sweet. I can never get enough of them...Yes, try that Strawberry Bellini it is so refreshing...Have a great week, and enjoy your Memorial Day weekend.
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  5. Oh strawberries are just so good! These days if you don't grow your own you can find organic ones in the shops too and they taste just like homegrown.
    This year I had strawberries in April when I was in Italy but I must say I was disappointed as they had no taste at all. They look ever so lovely: big, red and so inviting but they taste of nothing. In England even non organic taste quite good.
    I love your pie! I want to make one too, just waiting for our British strawberries which are usually ready in June. Love your bellini too! it has a lovely colour with strawberries. Hope you week is going well xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Alida,
      Thanks for your comment...I can also eat strawberries everyday if I could. They are so good. That is the only kind I purchase is Organic or from the local farm stands. I agree sometimes I buy food like that, where they are beautiful outside and then when you get home and open it, they are rotten or have no taste. Hope that you get to taste some really delicious ones in England, when they come out in June. I am glad that you like the pie and the Bellini, two yummy strawberry goodies. (I love the color too) Thanks for your visit, have a wonderful weekend too! Yes, my week is going well, and hope that you and your family are doing well too dear friend!
      Hugs x Dottie :)

      Delete
  6. Dear Dottie, The strawberry cream pie would not last a minute in the refrig!! It would disappear!
    I love the fresh drink as well. It is so pretty and elegant and I am sure delicious.
    Beautiful recipes, strawberries are so healthy as well.
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine,
      Thanks for visiting, yes, yes, I know what you mean.. The strawberry cream pie.disappeared very quickly in my house as well. I agree the drink is very refreshing and perfect to go along with this pie. LOVE strawberries...Thanks for your comment dear friend...Blessings on a great week ahead...
      Dottie :)

      Delete