Tuesday, September 8, 2015

“Braised Spezzatino” For "Wordless Tuesday"

Welcome to “Wordless Tuesday!” Where there is just a mouth watering recipe or two which I know you will enjoy….. 

Braised Spezzatino

This is a perfect recipe to make when the weather starts to get cool. I love to have recipes on hand for those chilly nights. It tastes magnificent and makes the house smell great! As far as I am concerned, it is perfect as written. You can serve it with a green salad and a chunk of Italian bread to soak up all the juices. Not only delicious but it makes great leftovers as well! 



Side Salad
Serves: 6-8  
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time:  2 hours 25 minutes

Ingredients:
2 lbs stew beef
A little flour to coat the meat
4 Tbsp pure Olive Oil
7 oz diced Mirepoix (**See Notes)
1-1/2 lbs Yellow, Red, or White Potatoes, halved
1 can (28 oz) Italian Crushed Tomatoes w/ Italian Herbs
1 can (28 oz) Italian Coarse Ground Tomatoes
2 Tbsp chopped rosemary leaves
1 cup dry red wine
1 cup Beef Stock
Salt and pepper
1 pkg (16 oz) Frozen Petite Sweet Peas & Pearl Onions, thawed 



Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F degrees. Dust beef with flour. Heat oil in large braising pan on Med. Brown beef (1 lb at a time) on all sides, 8-10 min. Transfer to clean platter. Discard all but 1 Tbsp pan drippings. Add Mirepoix & potatoes to pan; cook, stirring, 3-4 min. Add tomatoes & rosemary; cook 2 min. Add wine; cook 3-5 min to reduce by one-third. Add beef stock; season with salt & pepper. Return meat to pan; heat to simmer. Cover; place on center rack of oven. Braise 1 hour, 45 min. Carefully remove lid. Add peas, onions; stir to heat through.

 

**NOTES: A mirepoix is a roughly chopped vegetable cut, usually a mixture of onions, carrots, and celery. Mirepoix, raw, roasted or sautéed with butter or olive oil, is the flavor base for a wide variety of dishes, such as stocks, soups, stews and sauces.
Mirepoix
++++Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Shiraz/Syrah, Zinfandel, Sangiovese, and or Cabernet Franc are perfect pairings as a dry red wine. The reds tend to have dark fruit and very present tannins that are great with beef.  
   (Please Drink Responsibly)     
Dry Red Wine


(I adapted this recipe from Wegmans


Till Next Time………………………………...................


Copyright © 2015 “Family Plus Food Equals Love” All Rights Reserved

10 comments:

  1. Good evening dear Dottie;
    Wordless Tuesday spoke for it's self this week. I do so love 'Spezzatino' , I will try your version ...the spices will make it finger-licking good .
    A salad with Italian buttered garlic will make you jump up and do a jig .(giggling).
    Your choice of wine puts the finishing touches to this meal .
    I hope your weather is cooling down a tad . After next week Ican take a breather , the kids will be settle in school .
    Hope you are staying cool my friend . Thanks so much for sharing :) Nee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nee, good evening,
      Thank you for your comment. I agree with you, for those of us that know this dish it is finger licking good. Especially with that piece of garlic bread.and a fresh crisp salad. Love the wine with this dish as it already has the wine in it, so it goes well. Glad that you love "Spezzatino." Oh, dear friend, I long for the cool breeze so I can open the windows and turn off the A/C. It reached 94 degrees here and it is so hot. Hopefully it will soon cool down a little soon. I can imagine how busy and hectic you must be with the kids. When they are in school things take on a different calmness in the house, at least till they all come home. I am trying to stay cool...Have a great and blessed week... Hugs Dottie :)

      Delete
  2. Oh Dottie, this sounds wonderful...I love this kind of comfort food in the winter. It really is truly the best. This sounds wonderful and I can only imagine just how delicious it is!

    I hope this message finds you well. I cannot believe how quickly the summer has passed by. Take care.

    Toodles,
    Tammy<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy,
      Thanks for stopping by. Yes, I agree love all of this comfort foods, so hearty and brings back memories of home and family. I know it has been hot out, but always be prepared, for those cool nights in the fall or winter. Thanks for your comment. Yes, the summer did go by too fast...Yes, I am trying to do the best I can, always deal with some health issues, but that never stops me. Have a blessed week and keep thinking of those cool days of fall. (I can't wait)
      Hugs, Dottie :)

      Delete
  3. My mum always used to make spezzatino. So so delicious in winter cooked long and slow like you have done so it becomes really tender..mmm I want to make this now!!
    I cannot yet get into the idea that summer is over and we are back to soups and stews. I really relaxed this summer in Italy and I managed to spend some time with my two sisters and my parents. Also I visited my grandmother who is 91 and is in a care home as she is unable to look after herself. I always miss my family when I am in the UK.
    I will be back there soon though.
    Have a good rest of the week Dottie. Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Alida,
      Thanks for your comment, so glad that you enjoyed this post. I know this is a really yummy dish and like you said it makes it so tender if cooked long and slow. Yes, you are right summer time did go fast, but it is still so hot here, I do long for those cool days in the fall, no A/C and we can open the windows. So thrilled for you that you enjoyed the summer back home in Italy with your family. It is so important to be with your famiglia! God Bless your grandmother at 91.I miss my both grandmothers, they were both such an influence in my life. Hope that you get to go back soon...Wish you a wonderful week...
      Hugs x Dottie :)

      Delete
  4. Dear Dottie:)
    Thank you soooooooo much for your kind words and yes, for sharing this hearty recipe. I haven't enjoyed a good bowl of Spezzatino in ages. All in one hearty meals sing Fall to me and Marion too:)

    It's still so hot and humid in PA just like NY, lol...Soon we will be able to shut off that darn AC.

    You were right, the Orange dotted flower with the hummingbird in the center is a Tiger Lily. They are very easy to grow. Just let me know if you want some seeds:)

    Thank you so much for sharing, Dottie. Do hope all is well with you and yours. I've missed so much in the blogging world these past months. "See" you soon, good Lord willing and the creek don't freeze:) {{{Hugs}}} Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Louise,
      How wonderful to hear from you..miss you lots especially your wonderful posts and stories. No need to thank me, just so glad that you were able to give us an update. So glad that you enjoyed this recipe, I know that the weather has been so hot here as you know, but I couldn't stand it anymore..Maybe this recipe will bring the cooler weather sooner...Yes, I was half correct about that Tiger Lilly. I have to say I absolutely love the colors. it is a favorite of mine. The development that I live in does not allow us to plant flowers so I couldn't use the seeds, besides I probably would end up killing it by accident. Thank you anyway..Glad to see that you are still into your garden with all that you are going through..Your garden must be your happy place. Thanks fora asking but I am doing the best I can, having back issues, but my parents are in need of help. (Age related things, arthritis, etc) I am trying to help them out as much as I can, but that is hard. But we manage the best we can...I do miss your blogging and your recipes. Hope that all goes well and you come back maybe before Christmas..Enjoy your trip and some R& R is what you need. Love your saying You crack me up, that is what I miss my Louise with a sense of humor. Be well dear friend....
      Hugs x Dottie :)

      Delete
  5. Dear Dottie, This is a perfect comfort food recipe. All that is needed is a nice loaf of Italian bread and lots of grated cheese.
    I hope you are feeling better. xoxo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Catherine,
      Thanks for your visit and your comment. Yes, i agree this recipe is pure comfort food. Always think of my mom when I make this one....Oh my I love the grated cheese with it..forgot to add that to the recipe...So many yummy dishes if you just add a little grated cheese it puts it over the top. I have been so busy as you know that I have not had a chance to visit your site, but I will catch up. Yes, doing OK everyday, but my parents are not good at times..I have been really busy with them and worrying doesn't help things..Thanks for asking dear friend...Blessing to you and your family..
      Hugs, Dottie :)

      Delete