Tuesday, September 15, 2015

“Mama's Stuffed Cucuzza Long” For "Wordless Tuesday"

Welcome to “Wordless Tuesday!” Where I have a mouthwatering recipe which I know you will love ……..Enjoy!

I remember my mother used to make a type of squash called Cucuzza (means super long squash), but we called it in Italian “goo-gutzalong.” She would take this Italian squash and stuff it with a meatball stuffing, cook it, and serve it over rice. Cucuzza comes from the southern regions of Italy; Campania, Calabria, and Sicily. Its skin color is light green and the shape is very long, curved and bottom heavy. It is prepared just like zucchini and has the same tender, mildly-sweet flavor with it‘s pure white flesh. This Italian squash can grow to three feet in length. The season for this squash is from June until frost.  Cucuzza is high in vitamin C and fiber plus contains no fat or sodium. Italian legend says, “Eat Cucuzza and you will prosper and live a long life…” 


(my mom, Madeline)
Italian recipes using Cucuzza range from very simple to quite complex. Anyway you prepare this sweet appealing squash would be a palatable experience and certainly full of flavor. I would love to share with you my mom’s recipe, called “Stuffed Cucuzza Long.” Mangia! Molto Bene! 

"Mama's Stuffed Cucuzza Long


Ingredients:
1 long Cucuzza
Onions
Celery cut in chunks plus leaves
Tomato sauce (small amount)
Olive Oil just to coat bottom of pot
Salt & pepper to taste
1 recipe of “Mama’s Meatballs” (click link)



Directions:
Prepare Cucuzza by peeling it and cutting it in rounds or cylinders about 2”inches thick. Next take out the seeds and leave most of the white pulp, just enough to be able to stuff with meatball stuffing mix. Put aside and prepare the un-cooked meatball mix. Once that is ready you can now stuff the cut rounds of uncooked Cucuzza. Stuff but not overflowing, then put aside. Now take a Dutch oven or large heavy pot and coat the bottom with some olive oil. Cut up your onions and celery. Once oil is shimmering add the onions and celery, sauté till somewhat soft, then add about 1/2 cup of tomato sauce for color. Stir and then add your rounds of stuffed Cucuzza. Add some salt/pepper and water to pot not to cover the squash, but just enough to go half way up each piece, to cook in. Cover and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes. You need to turn each piece every 10 minutes, so each piece gets cooked and remember you are cooking uncooked meat. If you need more water add a small amount at a time. Cook for about 1 hour or so depending on the size of your Cucuzza rounds. You can serve over rice. Enjoy!   

Till Next Time………………………….

Copyright © 2015 “Family Plus Food Equals Love” All Rights Reserved.

8 comments:

  1. I have had many of those this summer. My dad has been growing them succesfully this year. I usually cook them in the pan with olive oil and a few leaves of mint but I have never tried stuffing them. Great idea! Your mom, coming from the south of Italy new exactly what to do with them. I love her photo!
    Thank you for your fab recipe. Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciao Alida,
      Thanks for your comment. So happy to hear that your dad has had success with his Cucuzza this year. You are correct that they are so good. I never had it made the way you do with the mint and the olive oil. I guess we have to try each others way of cooking them. My mom stuffs them but I also remember if some of them come apart she would just cut it up in chunks/slices and cooked them along side the stuffed ones. With the onion and the celery it makes it even sweeter than they are already. Thanks, this photo of my mom was taken so many years ago. I love to see her cooking in the kitchen but she never really liked to have her photo taken. I have used this one before...Now forget it, she very rarely cooks much anymore do to her age (86) and her not well with arthritis. But it is good to have at least one photo of her in the kitchen...Have a great day/night..
      Hugs x Dottie :)

      Delete
  2. I've never eaten cucuzza before (or even heard of it, to be honest). But I love zucchini so I imagine I'd like this, as well. Sadly I don't think it's available in any of the grocery stores in my area. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Audra,
      So nice to hear from you...Oh my this dish with the cucuzza is so tasty. Very similar to a Zucchini, (only sweeter). I know that you would love this one. Now you live in Az. Not sure where you can get this veggie, but maybe in an Italian speciality store, or maybe a farmers market. When I'm in doubt, I google it....Thanks for your comment..Hope that you are doing well and have a wonderful day. I do read your blog posts, just have not had time to write anything...But I love your posts, especially the ones you write about books, and crocheting/knitting.
      Dottie :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the suggestions! And I'm glad you like reading my blog posts. There's definitely more knitting ones to come. :-)

      Delete
    3. Thanks Audra..have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  3. Dear Dottie, This dish brought back good memories!! Such a classic and so delicious!
    xoxo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Catherine,
      So happy that this dish brought back many happy memories for you...Yes, my mom would always make this dish in late August or September, a try classic and yummy too. Thanks for visiting and your comment.Have a good day!
      Dottie :)

      Delete