Sunday, May 8, 2016

"Happy Mother's Day" To All Mothers And Mothers To Be...A Tribute To My Mom!

Welcome, I want to wish all of my followers, family, and friends a blessed and glorious Mother’s Day! A few years back I wrote an article for my friend Margaret, at Italian American Girl’s website. Please visit her site, she has a lot of interesting articles. Don't forget to tell her I sent you.. It was a Mother’s Day tribute to my mom. I thought I would repost this article for my mother this year. As most of you know my mom has had a rough time of it and was in a rehab for her back, from November to March of this year. She is doing a little better, but is no where near she should be. A few set backs but we keep going and my mom just embodies how strong mothers really are. So I hope that you enjoy this post and have the best Mother’s Day ever..... 
   
"Happy Mother’s Day" mom, as you celebrate 62 years of mothering and 40 years of grandmothering. These are the raw numbers of age, but they don’t reflect the memories, stories, lessons, and wisdom that come to us with the fullness of a life lived with intensity, insight, love, and faith. 
"1950"

Mothers are angels sent from God. They are like snowflakes; each one is different and unique in their own way. Not until I had my son did I realize the sacrifices mothers make. Madeline, my mom is the heart of our home. She is the one that gets everyone together for birthdays and holidays. She loves to cook meals for the family.  Everyone in the family can attest to her strength, her honesty, and her warmth. My mom embodies what a mother should be and shares her wisdom with everyone she meets. Her hobbies include reading, gardening, cooking, spending time with my dad, family, and friends. I have so many memories of my childhood with my mom, but these thoughts are a special way to wish my mom a Happy Mother’s Day !!! 

One of my mother’s favorite hobbies is to read books. So mom, here is one of the best books you have ever read. Each of us has entered my mother’s book in a different chapter—some long ago, some more recently—but we are, nevertheless, all part of a story that began in Brooklyn, NY and to the present in St. James, Long Island where she and my dad resides. 

My mom was a teacher by profession and as they say chief, cook, and bottle washer. She did it all. Took care of three children, ran a home, worked, and there was always a hot meal on the table at night for dinner. On Sundays, church was always the top priority as the whole family would go to Mass together. Sunday was not only for church but for family. We always had grandparents, friends, and relatives to share in our Sunday dinner. The table had to be set just so, with the proper placement of forks, spoons, and knives. A typical Italian Sunday meal was centered on pasta (macaroni or mac’s for short we would call it) and meatballs as a first dish and then came the entrée with all the trimmings. After every one was almost busting out of their clothes came the coffee, demitasse, (Italian black coffee) tea, fruit, nuts, figs, and all the desserts. We of course do not eat like that anymore, thank goodness or we will have to be rolled out of the house. Things were different then. Both my parents are my heroes. They not only share their love of family and food but also their faith. No matter what life brings, they taught me to be strong and know that family and God is always there with love and support above all things. 

The end of this story is not yet written, so we will refrain from speculation, but suffice it to say that we will be eagerly awaiting the sequel on Mother’s Day next year. But as we reflect today upon the time we all have to give with our Mother, grandmother, wife, confidant, relative, and friend, however long or short, we are reminded that our connections with one another constitute our greatest blessing. To that end, let us celebrate times shared, advice given and sought, wisdom imparted, stories remembered, and the joy of life. Thank you mom, May there be many more chapters to come…. Love your daughter, Dottie X <3


Till Next Time…..


Copyright © 2016 "Family Plus Food Equals Love" All Rights Reserved






7 comments:

  1. Good morning dear Dottie ,
    What a wonderful tribute to your mother on her special day .
    So happy to hear your fear mother is improving ,it's is a long way back , love will help may is easy .
    What a beautiful your parents are . I do so think you look like both .
    Take care my friend ... see you soon .
    Hugs ... Nee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Nee,
      Thank you so much for your comment. Yes, my mom is getting better but as you said it is a long way back. Yes, some of these photos are taken from a while ago. She doesn't look like that anymore, But they are fun to look at and brings back memories. I have heard that I look more like my dad's side of the family, but I think I have some of my mom's as well. I do hope that you had a beautiful Mother's Day..Have a good week dear friend.
      Hugs Dottie :)

      Delete
  2. Happy Mother's Day, Dottie! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Audra,
      Thank you so much for your good wishes...Hope that you are doing well at your new job...Have a great week...
      Dottie :)

      Delete
  3. I know this is one of several important knowledge for me. And I'm inspired studying your article.
    But should mention on some usual things,
    the website style is excellent; the articles are excellent.
    Thanks for the ton of actual and reachable help
    Happy Mother’s Day In Italian 2019

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for some other informative website. The place else may just I get that kind of information written in such a perfect method? I have a venture that I am simply now running on, and I’ve been at the glance out for such info. Mother's Day Theme

    ReplyDelete